Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The ipod moves in a PDAesque direction

My mind still contains a few faint memories of the PUG Vienna discussing how the ipod was moving into a PDAesque direction when the ipod photo came out. I never beleived that this could happen due to the lack of touchscreen and input possibilities(I could live with just a keyboard somehow). But indeed, it happened.
After the Doom port(which is pointless IMHO), a new service has been launched by users that use their ipod to store subway maps.
http://www.ipodsubwaymaps.com/ works by slicing the map into tiny pieces that exactly fit on the ipods screen. These can thern be shown somehow-but dont ask me how they naviage the maps... . Not owning an ipod definitely makes revieweing such stuff difficult, especially if there is no ipod simulator available for download.
Overall, I do not beleive that this threatens PalmOS apps-Metro and the other map serices simply benefit from the touchscreen and the 5way nav for zooming and panning. But, this shows that there is demandf for a converged device that does everything: media, movies and organization! So, the LifeDrive idea isnt even that bad after all. Altough the current device has some deficits for sure(no real RAM, doing everything with the HDD is slow and costs battery,..)-keep in mind that it is a first generation unit and that it will still take some time to mature. Apple once had PDA's-so it is entirely possible that they decide to whack a touchscreen on the ipod and cite Bruno Kreisky(austrian president):
One can get smarter over night!

I am pretty sure such a device would be quite successful, as the ipod name would drive it forward... .

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tam, do your homework!

The LifeDrive has 32 MB of "real" SDRAM on board.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Tam Hanna said...

Hi,
I know that it does. However, all user data is still on the HDD! I meant that it lacks a dedicated RAM partition!
Best regards
Tam Hanna

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't use words that you don't understand ;-)

1:56 PM  
Blogger fuhgettaboutit123 said...

I don't own an iPod photo, though I do own a regular 40GB iPod. As I've said before, I love it. For audio playback and for storage, it's great. I can't see myself using it for anything else, ever. My PDA, however (at the moment, a Tapwave Zodiac 2 still...) is an all-around device for entering and retrieving all sorts of data, as well as playing games and composing music.

Each has its own place in my "gadget ecology", and neither is threatening the other as far as I'm concerned, either.

Metro is a great Palm program, though it doesn't use visual maps of any sort, so perhaps there's some confusion there, Tam. (unless there's another Metro prog I'm unaware of) I use it all the time when I go downtown into Washington and whenever I finally get some time to hit up NY I'm sure it'll come in handy there too.

I think where people fault you every now and again is your English, which is generally excellent. I don't assume Tam is a native speaker so you should obviously forgive him for referring to tradition Palm-style RAM (which is used as storage and dynamic memory both, I don't know the proper term for it myself!) as "real RAM"

I've considered eventually getting a LifeDrive myself when my Zodiac dies, but I think when and if that happens, I'm more apt to get a Treo650, as that's where I want my device convergence I think. The Zod performs well as a multimedia device, both on the music and movies fronts. And I'm sure the Treo will do nearly as well. (no ATI chip but plenty more proc speed, though I'll miss the screen size) But for now, the Zodiac lives on...

-tank.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Tam Hanna said...

Hi tank,
I gotta be honest as I never ever used Metro;). I just assumed about it!
Indeed, I am not sure how one should call the memory a T3,... uses. Anyways, you always seem to have a few trolls in bigger sites. So, having a troll actually means we're big;).
Best regards
Tam Hanna

6:30 PM  
Blogger aiya said...

Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft word
Office 2007
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office 2007
Office 2007 key
Office 2007 download
Office 2007 Professional
Outlook 2010
Microsoft outlook
Microsoft outlook 2010
Windows 7

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home