Friday, March 04, 2005

Whining screens-how not to solve the problem

Many TamsPalm readers own PalmOne handhelds-and many of these machines whine loudly when powered on. This sound emission has already become a huge problem and has loed to a software developer announcing an expensive software patch to fix the problem. Also, some non-whining hardware has been developed, etc!
Users are very happy to take thesde patches and fixes in order to solve a problem that shouldn't be there at all! They forget that they do not help the situation like this!
Well, PalmOne is a company that wants to make a profit. Whining screens have a low quality, and thus are cheap. If users cope with the screen whine, PalmOne will see no reason to stop using whining screens-and the screen whine will never die. Also, PalmOne engineers will become less sensitive to product flaws-a third party will fix it for me, so why bother!
My personal way involves a bit of elbow grease-but it doesn't cost me a cent. Since I own a second machine(an old, battered but trusty IIIc which I can repair myself in case of emergency), I send in the unit whenever I find the smallest mistake! PalmOne even covers the postage for me-so huge loss for them and little effort for me. When a refund is offered, I would cash my machine immediately. Also, whenever a rep calls me, I always give them the number of my mobile phone and talk slowly, etc-inflating costs even further!
If evey user would return his whining machine, PalmOne would see an explosion of customer care costs. This would lead to working units on the long run...
What do you beleive?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Steven Fisher said...

I totally agree with you. That's the way to solve the problem in the long term.

Unfortunately, this keeps happening to me when I have a flight planned within a couple weeks and I can't risk going overseas without a Palm.

Last time I just bought a new one. But I got an extended warranty, so this time I plan to use that.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a bit lengthy thread on brighthand about fixing noise.
! at own risk !

http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64429
(this time in english)

Stoiniger

11:15 PM  
Blogger Tam Hanna said...

Hi Stoininger and Steven,
thank you for your comments:
To Steven: Murphy's law in action. However, I have an old IIIc as backup machine-so no problem here for me...
To Stoininger: You are right about this, good link. However, following these instructions will lead to one thing-more whining handhelds from PalmOne....
Best regards
Tam Hanna

7:14 PM  
Anonymous rck said...

I think you are on the right track. What good is a product if it does not meet expectations? On the other hand, there are people not as lucky as you having a device from a manufacturer who is still offering it.

I'm referring to my Sony CliƩ TH-55 which I try to keep running as good as possible. No major problems until now, I even managed to get me a cradle for it (took me a couple of months)...

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home