Sunday, November 28, 2004

PODS-Tutorials, Ebooks and Help-Webserver

I have been using ther PODS for a few hours by now instead of the aging OnboardC-and got pretty angry about the incredibly bad help viewer. when you change to the PODS with a help viewer window open, all of its contents get garbled! So it is reloading time....
However, a right click on a link showed me that it pointed to a web server on my local machine-altough it was running at an unusual port which changed after every start of the PODS. Here is an example of such a link-it will definitely not work on your machine:
http://127.0.0.1:3634/help/topic/com.palmsource.eclipse.tools.doc.user/docs/PalmOSDevSuite/Tools_Overview.html#997748

Curious as I am, I immediately opened a current link in my web browser-and alas, I was at the corresponding help topic-but now the Page was displayed in Firefox and all problems were finished. Even after I closed the Help viewer window, the online help still was accessible through Firefox. Now, that is astonishing! PODS automatically starts a web server when loaded into memory-just to serve up the on-line help! If that isn't a waste of memory... .

To benefit from this yourself, do the following: Open up Help, and click on one of the links with the right mouse button. Then, you shall see a menu entry details. Click it, and a window with an URL shall show up. After http://127.0.0.1: there will be a few numbers followed by a /, just copy these into the link below instead of the PORT.
http://127.0.0.1:PORT/help/index.jsp
Into Firefox with it, and have fun. I am using this since 4 reboots on my Windows 2000 machine-so one can say that it is stable!
Tell me what you think about it!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

do know how much memory is in use by the webbrowser?

Toem

2:51 PM  
Blogger Tam Hanna said...

Hi Toem,
first of all, thanks for your comment. Right now, while typing in this comment, my Firefox requires about 20MB of RAM. However, I do not know how much memory the eclipse web server or its help viewers take up. Instead, I can tell you that the help viewer is very very buggy(on my machine)....
Best Regards
Tam

4:37 PM  
Blogger Ben Combee said...

The help system is a standard part of the Eclipse environment, so don't blame PalmSource for the way it works.

A lightweight web server isn't much of a resource hog. It uses this form because the help is actually stored in a compressed HTML format, and it's easier to be cross-platform. However, I agree that it would be nice to see the built-in ability to just launch your standard web browser on the help server, rather than launching Eclipse's built-in browser.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Tam Hanna said...

Hi,
I am sorry if the article above offended anyone. I didn't intend to blame anyone-I just wanted to point out that Eclipse runs a web server in the background permanentely instead of shipping HTML or CHM files which are easier to convert to Palm Powered handhelds. In addition-any web server regardless of its weight-takes up more memory than a static CHM file on the harddisk.
Thanks for the Comments!
Tam Hanna

5:19 PM  
Blogger shirley said...

Hi, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free ebooks site and free ebooks blog. It pretty much covers ebooks related stuff.
free ebook download, free ebooks download, free e-book download, free e-books download


I have a Ad blaster+Blog blaster+Instant booster+Blog link generator
I have a master resale rights

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:28 PM  
Blogger Zaara said...

` rapidshare collection (306) IT Collection (278) C/C++ Collection (241) Programming Collection (202) Java Collections (172) DataBase Collection (107) CISCO Collection (101) index of ebooks (79) Designing Collection (56) programming (50) Magazines/Comics (46) DotNet Collection (37) Miscellaneous Collection (31) Ajax (26) Publishers Collection (25) Engineering collection (22) Certification Collection (16) Lisp Collection (15) Big List (9) Gate Collection (8) NonIt Collection (8) Medical Collection (7) OS Collection (6) HTML Collection (4) Learning Collection (4) Python Collection (4) Management Collection (3) Science Collection (3) Windows Collection (3) Business Collection (2) Hacking Collection (2) Linux/Unix (2) Networking Collection (2) Office Collection (2) PHP Collection (2) Link to us (1) Oracle Collection (1) SAP (1) SQL Collection (1) non-it ebooks (1) psycology collection (1)

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home